What is Arnold?
Arnold is an advanced Monte Carlo ray tracing renderer built for
the demands of feature-length animation and visual effects.
Originally co-developed with Sony Pictures Imageworks and now their
main renderer, Arnold is used at over 300 studios worldwide
including ILM, Framestore, MPC, The Mill and Digic Pictures. Arnold
was the primary renderer on dozens of films from Monster House and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs to Pacific Rim and Gravity. It is available as a standalone renderer on Linux, Windows and
Mac OS X, with plug-ins for Maya, Softimage, Houdini,Cinema 4D and
"Arnold gives us outstanding image quality and the ease of set up
that today’s productions demand. I’m thrilled we are able to add it
to the arsenal of tools at ILM."
John Knoll, ILM
Easy to Use
"Everything about Arnold is easier whether it’s the
straight-forward controls for the artist or the clean consistent
API for the developer."
Chad Dombrova, Luma Pictures
"The software is robust and can reliably function with
extra-ordinarily large data sets."
Dave Levy, The Mill
Easy to Switch
"Arnold has been a revelation both in the minimal time required for
us to port all our pipeline to support it, and in the ease by which
our lighters have switched to using it."
Martin Preston, Framestore
Arnold for Maya (or MtoA) provides a bridge to the Arnold renderer
from within the standard Maya interface.
- Seamless integration with Maya shapes, cameras, lights and shaders.
- Image Based Lighting support, including a state of the art physical
- Interactive rendering (IPR) allows parameter changes to be rapidly
previewed without interrupting your work.
- Support for volume rendering with Maya Fluids.
- Support for Maya Hair and nHair.
- Particles and nParticles support, including particle instancer.
- Defer the creation of geometry at render time with the Stand-in
- Productivity boost: override sets, holdout mattes, shadow catcher,
passes, UDIM style textures, and arbitrary primvar data.
- Extensible through plug-ins (Golaem, FumeFX for Maya, Yeti, Shave
- XGen integration.
- Texturable geometric lights.
- Deep EXR.
- Rendering of curves.
Requirements & Platforms
- Compatible with Maya 2013, 2013.5, 2014 and 2015
- Windows 7 and later
- Linux RHEL6 equivalent (glibc 2.12) and later
- Mac OS X 10.8 and later
- CPU with at least SSSE3 instructions (2006 and later Intel CPUs,
and 2011 and later AMD CPUs)